Tuesday 11 March 2014

Great Pyrenees Dogs

Two Great Pyrenees dogs won our hearts as soon as hubby and I decided we would start searching for hobby farm property. How did that happen? Because, at the same time I started "Googling" real estate listings, I also began gathering information on the best types of farm dogs that could guard our future barnyard critters.

To my surprise and delight I came across an ad on "Kijiji" with a picture of a male Great Pyrenees dog who was sadly no longer wanted by his family.   He was absolutely beautiful and I wanted him before I even knew anything about the breed (never mind the fact that we didn't even have our farm yet nor do we still!...lol). But that's besides the point, or is it?

Thor (our handsome male Great Pyrenees)
I diligently did some investigating on the net and found out that Pyrenees dogs are one of the best farm dogs you could own and they make great family pets and are super with young children.

Pyrs  are affectionately known as, "Gentle Giants" which definitely describes them to a "T". We have first hand knowledge of that as I managed to persuade my husband to adopt "Thor" (the Pyrenees I saw on Kijiji)!  I'm not quite sure why hubby "gave in" to me as I'd been bugging him for years for a dog but he always said no!

Not only do we have the dog I saw on Kijiji, but "low and behold," we got another one shortly thereafter.  This time a female (non the less!).  Imagine that.... My husband not only said yes to one, but to two!  I think we are both getting a little crazy in our old age.

Millie (our Great Pyrenees female puppy)
We don't have our farm yet but we got the dogs as a "step of faith". We believed that some day soon we'd have our farm so why let the awesome opportunity to have a such beautiful dogs pass us by?   Well, we definitely were a little hasty in making our decision and would not recommend you do what we did but now that we have them we wouldn't part with them for gold.

Although we love our dogs very much, after doing a little more research, we found out that house pet Pyrenees and working farm dog Pyrenees are two very different types! So, you should definitely do your due diligence if you are thinking of getting any type of working farm dog.  Working dogs need to be raised outside with momma and papa to "learn the ropes". Otherwise, you end up with couch potato dogs like we have who think that they are God's gift to the world and want our undivided attention 24/7.

Our dogs likely won't ever be the best hobby farm "guardians" because they are "house spoiled" but they sure can bark. They are exceptionally talented at that so at least they will be good for something, (if only to scare the chickens away from their dog food bowl)!

 Thor and Mille at the Beach

Blessings,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice and no spam, please.