Friday 16 January 2015

Compost Worms

My decision to start a compost worm bin was one of the best things I did to help me be patient while waiting to find and purchase our "forever" homestead hobby farm.

Living in the city is driving me crazy but we just are not ready to move yet.  We're in the process now of cleaning and painting our basement.   Once we get that done and a few other minor projects, we'll be ready to put our house on the market.

In the meantime, when I get itching to work in the garden, I play with my worms!   Well, I don't actually "play" with them.  But, I check them.... the bin's moisture level, the state of the worms, the condition of their bedding, and whether they need more food scraps, or not.

I use "Rubber Maid" type bins to raise my worms in.
I love my worms because I can dig my hands in dirt in the middle of the winter and feel like I'm gardening even though the wind is whistling outside and snow has covered my flower and vegetable beds.

I started composting outdoors several years ago... dropping my food scraps, leaves, grass clippings, shredded newspaper, (and other greens and browns), in my bins several times a week. I just love composting.   I am always amazed at how all the junk I pop into my bins turns to beautiful rich soil in just a few months!

One day I went online to look up some ways to improve my composting when I came across information about using compost worms to quicken the composting time.   I was very intrigued by the idea of using red wiggler worms (Eisenia fetida) to improve the quality of my soil.

I immediately did a Google search to see where I could buy these wonderful  compost worms.  To my disappointment, there wasn't anywhere local.  The closest place I could find was over an hour away from me.  Not only that but they were charging $40.00 a pound for their worms.

At the time, I just wasn't willing to pay $40.00 (plus shipping) so I passed on the opportunity hoping I'd eventually find a place locally some day.   To my surprise though, one day in the spring, I dumped some leaves into my bin that I had raked up and bagged during the Fall before.   To my delight, I saw some red compost worms clinging to the debris.

I was so excited!

I left them in the outside bin until I was able to persuade my husband to drill some holes in an old Rubber Maid bin we had stored in the shed.   He was obliging but thought I was a bit crazy when I told him I wanted to start a worm farm in our basement!....lol

I started with about 100 worms that day.  Now I have 1,000's of them.  I'm really enjoying this little hobby I have.  I have already used my worm castings on my indoor plants and am looking forward to the Spring when I can use my surplus castings in my outdoor garden. I even sell my worms occasionally to people who want to start their own compost worm bin. 

If you haven't started your own compost worm bin yet, I encourage you to do so as soon as you can. It is immensely enjoyable.  If you have any questions about setting up a bin, what to feed your worms, or how to care for them so they are happy homestead compost worms, feel free to contact me.  I'll be glad to help.

I sell compost worms "locally" (Niagara Falls and surrounding area) .  Sorry but I'm not in a position to ship worms out of town as of yet.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice and no spam, please.