Tuesday 20 January 2015

My Senegal Parrot

Wondering if it's okay to have "non" farm pets on your homestead?

Most homesteaders will tell you not to have an animal that doesn't pay it's way either in eggs, meat, or horse power.  That makes sense if you're budget or time is tight but surely there are exceptions to the rule, no?

Now, before you scold me, I realize that a Senegal Parrot is not a "hobby farm critter", but I just couldn't pass up on the opportunity to have this bundle of joy for a pet when I saw his cute little face "for sale" on the internet. (Note to self: Stay off Kijiji).

Look at his adorable little face!
"Wacky" eating a raspberry treat
 
I spend a lot of time in the kitchen making healthy meals, dehydrating, and revamping old recipes.  It gets lonely and monotonous on occasion as our kids are grown and off on their own now and hubby is busy in his office building our home based business.  So, to keep me company, I thought adding a Senegal Parrot to our family was a brilliant idea!

Hubby wasn't quite so enthused but he said that if I wanted him it would be okay for me to get the parrot so off we went to pick up my new little "kitchen helper". It was love at first sight. How could anyone not want a little guy like this?

"Wacky" on his ladder
To our delight, he turned out to be quite "friendly and comical" (although we decided to change his name from "Sammy" to "Wacky" as he definitely displayed quirky personality traits as time went on).

We were going to call him "Psycho" because of his unpredictable, neurotic, behavior but thought better of it as it might not go over too well among our more "politically correct" friends and family members. Thus, the more subdued *new* name, "Wacky," was chosen.

I don't regret (for one minute) claiming "Wacky" as my pet but he certainly is not a hobby farm animal that will "earn its keep" such as a guardian Great Pyrenees dog or a chicken that lays eggs but I figured that if this crazy little Senegal Parrot could make me laugh and prove to be a good companion he'd be worth buying a bag of food for "now and again". Besides, I can put his poop in the worm compost bin so he's a contributor to the homestead after all!

"Wacky" had a bath in the dog's dish!



Senegal Parrots talk, chatter, and whistle yet are one of the quietest of the Parrot species. Thank goodness as some of them are way too loud and often scream incessantly if they don't get their own way.

Senegal Parrots can keep you amused for hours on end.   Our little "Wacky" is no exception.  He entertains us day and night.  He loves having a bath in the dog's dish.  He says, "See you later" when we leave the house to go out for awhile.  He also says, "Where are you?" if we're out of his sight too long.

I'm pretty sure he says my husband's name, Roger. I'm not 100% sure yet but it really sounds like he is copying me when I call my husband for lunch.   He also whistles to get my attention so I'll let him out of his cage if he can see me doing something that he wants to be a part of. He toddles along the counter toward me to see what I'm making for lunch and waits to get a treat. His favourite food is nuts and dates.

He "steps up" on my finger and he loves to get his head scratched and his feathers ruffled. He also takes a drink from the kitchen tap if I leave it dripping for him. He is a joy to have around. I'm really happy I got him. A house is not a home without a "parrot" ahahaha.


Here's "Wacky" drinking from the kitchen tap.
(The background noise you hear is the dog crunching on his kibble!)

Quirky Traits:   "Wacky" bites on occasion which can hurt quite a bit.   He seems to do it when he is offered something he doesn't really want or when he was expecting something different. He also bites if he gets scared or feels threatened so we have to read his body language very carefully. He also pecks at the dog's nose if either of them get too close for comfort.

"Wacky" also growls (sounds like a rough purrr) if he is curious (but scared) to check out new toys or food. If something out of the ordinary is on the counter, or in his cage, his eyes dilate showing agitation or excitement.

He also loves ripping cardboard boxes apart, toilet paper rolls, and paper bags. He climbs inside Kleenex boxes and cereal cartons and peaks out to keep an eye on me.

Senegal Parrots usually pick one person out of the family whom they choose to have a "special" relationship with.   "Wacky" chose my husband over me.  That was very disappointing at first because the parrot was supposed to be "my" buddy.   However, after reading quite a bit of information on parrot forums about this bonding behavior, I have come to understand that this is quite normal and not to be offended.

"Wacky" and my husband, Roger.

"Wacky" loves hanging out with me in the kitchen but whenever my husband shows up he goes all mushy over him.  He can't wait to be near him and get scratched and talked to.  It's quite pathetic to watch actually....lol   I try not to get jealous "after all" I'm the one who feeds him, cleans his cage, gives him all sorts of treats, and lets him roam free for hours at a time.   My husband doesn't do anything of the sort but this crazy bird is in love with him anyway.   (Well I can't quite blame the bird for acting that way.  I love my husband too!)

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Senegal Parrots or click here to find out about our home based business opportunity.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice and no spam, please.